IRANIAN AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION
2020 Scholarship Instructions
PLEASE SUBMIT ONLY ONE APPLICATION.
Completion of items 1 through 5 of the Scholarship Application is mandatory. Failure to complete the entire application will result in elimination. If the information requested does not apply, enter N/A. While most IABA Scholarships are awarded based on merit, financial need is a consideration in making award decisions. Accordingly, the information you may provide in items 6 and 7 is important if you wish to be considered for the available awards.
ELIGIBILITY – To be eligible, an applicant must satisfy the following requirements:1. Be of Iranian-American heritage
2. Be enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in an ABA-accredited law school
3. Be in a position to accept the scholarship in the school year for which it is being awarded
4. Be a full-time student, part-time, evening, or LLM student
5. Is not already a recipient of full funding for education from another organization (e.g., students receiving a full scholarship from an academic institution, members of the Armed Services attending US Military Academies, students receiving full reimbursement from an employer)
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS1. Submit only one application package.
a) Complete all items in Sections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the application form. Sections 6 and 7 are optional.
b) Attach all of the application materials listed below.
2 All application materials must be completed in ENGLISH. For LLM or other students with a foreign academic background, include official translations of non-English academic materials.
3. No application materials will be returned; no exceptions will be made.
4. Do NOT submit photographs of yourself with the application.
5. Is not already a recipient of full funding for education (e.g., students receiving a full scholarship from an academic institution, members of the Armed Services attending US Military Academies, students receiving full reimbursement from an employer)
To be accepted for review, an applicant must submit ALL REQUIRED ITEMS IN ONE EMAIL as listed above by the following deadlines. Late applications will NOT be accepted.
IABA Foundation Scholarship – 11:59 p.m. on July 31, 2020
Inaugural Judge Iravani-Sani Public Interest Scholarship – 11:59 p.m. on July 31, 2020
IABA NorCal Public Interest Scholarship – 11:59 p.m. on June 5, 2020
IABA NorCal General Scholarship – 11:59 p.m. on July 31, 2020
If you have any questions, please email [email protected]
All information must be provided in ENGLISH. Incomplete applications or application packages will be immediately disqualified from review with no further follow-up. Applications emailed after the applicable deadline will be immediately disqualified from review with no further follow-up. The following items must be submitted:• COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM
• PROFESSIONAL DATA – On a single 8.5 x 11 paper, supply a brief resume including education history, work experience (including your duties, starting and terminating dates), and any other pertinent information such as community involvement and publications. Briefly describe any research projects you have completed.
• APPLICANT’S STATEMENT – A typewritten statement or essay written by the applicant, NO MORE THAN TWO SINGLE-SIDED 1.5-SPACED PAGES, 12-INCH OR LARGER TIMES NEW ROMAN FONT describing:
a) why you would like to be an attorney, and/or
b) how you believe you will make a difference as an attorney with respect to Iranian-American issues and concerns, and/or
c) what influenced you to study law
d) what the scholarship money awarded would be used for. (you may be required to provide information regarding the program/event for which you intend on using this scholarship)
• TRANSCRIPTS – Provide unofficial copies of all transcripts (including anywhere that you did not receive a diploma from) for your entire undergraduate college/university enrollment. Also, provide an unofficial copy of your law school transcript. If for some reason you are unable to submit transcripts, contact [email protected] prior to the scholarship deadline. If you are selected for a Foundation Scholarship award, official copies of transcript(s) are required.
2020 Scholarship Application Form