SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
The Iranian American Bar Association Foundation and the Iranian American Bar Association Northern California Chapter are proud to announce our 2021 scholarships available to law students of Iranian heritage. We are delighted to foster the growth of law students and to invest in the leadership of future Iranian-American lawyers. Thanks to our generous members, donors, and community leaders, we will award the following scholarships to deserving students dedicated to community service and public interest.
All current law students are eligible to apply. Selection criteria will vary based on the scholarship. Please see below for application forms, required materials, and deadlines.
2021 IABA NORCAL SCHOLARSHIPS
IABA NorCal Public Interest Scholarship (Application Deadline May 10, 2021)
Law students who are pursuing a summer internship, externship or clerkship in public interest. This includes a position at 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations, or a government agency, or a judicial clerkship. Please note, students who will be working remotely for their public interest position are still eligible to apply. Applicants must have a connection to Northern California (via, employment, law school, or substantial prior residency). The scholarship award is $2,500.
Judge Iravani-Sani Public Interest Scholarship (Application Deadline June 1, 2021)
The Judge Iravani-Sani Public Interest Scholarship will support a law student of Iranian heritage who is pursuing public service law. Candidates from across the country are eligible to apply. IABA would like to thank Judge Iravani-Sani for her generous contribution and for being a role model to Iranian-American law students. The scholarship award is $2,500.
IABA NorCal General Scholarship (Application Deadline June 1, 2021)
Law students that have shown leadership or commitment to the advancement of the Iranian-American community. Scholarships can be used for general law school expenses, to cover the cost of summer positions, or to cover bar exam study expenses. Applicants must have a connection to Northern California (via, employment, law school, or substantial prior residency). The scholarship award is $2,500.
To be accepted for review, an applicant must submit ALL REQUIRED ITEMS listed below by the following deadlines. Late applications will NOT be accepted.
IABA NorCal Public Interest Scholarship – 11:59 p.m. on May 10, 2021
IABA NorCal Judge Iravani-Sani Public Interest Scholarship – 11:59 p.m. on June 1, 2021
IABA NorCal General Scholarship – 11:59 p.m. on June 1, 2021
For questions about the scholarships please contact IABA NorCal: [[email protected]]. IABA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization and was formed in 2013 as the charitable affiliate organization of the Iranian American Bar Association.
Completion of items 1 through 5 of the Scholarship Application is mandatory: Failure to complete the entire application will result in elimination. If the information requested does not apply, enter N/A. While most IABA Scholarships are awarded based on merit, financial need is a consideration in making award decisions. Accordingly, the information you may provide in items 6 and 7 is important if you wish to be considered for the available awards.
To be eligible, an applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
1. Be of Iranian-American heritage
2. Be enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in an ABA-accredited law school
3. Be in a position to accept the scholarship in the school year for which it is being awarded
4. Be a full-time student, part-time, evening, or LLM student
5. Not already a recipient of full funding for education from another organization (e.g., students receiving a full scholarship from an academic institution, members of the Armed Services attending US Military Academies, students receiving full reimbursement from an employer)
1. Submit only one application package per scholarship category
Complete all items in Sections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the application form.
b) Attach all of the application materials listed below
2. All application materials must be completed in ENGLISH. For LLM or other students with a foreign academic background, include official translations of non-English academic materials
3. No application materials will be returned; no exceptions will be made
4. Do NOT submit photographs of yourself with the application
5. Not already a recipient of full funding for education (e.g., students receiving a full scholarship from an academic institution, members of the Armed Services attending US Military Academies, students receiving full reimbursement from an employer)
All information must be provided in ENGLISH. Incomplete applications or application packages will be immediately disqualified from review with no further follow-up. Applications emailed after the applicable deadline will be immediately disqualified from review with no further follow-up. The following items must be submitted:
COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM REQUIRES:
- PROFESSIONAL DATA (RESUME/CV) – Brief resume/cv (no more than 2 pages) including education history, work experience (including your duties, starting and terminating dates), and any other pertinent information such as community involvement, publications, and research projects.
- APPLICANT’S STATEMENT – A typewritten statement written by the applicant, NO MORE THAN TWO SINGLE-SIDED 1.5-SPACED PAGES, 12-INCH OR LARGER TIMES NEW ROMAN FONT describing:
a) why you would like to be an attorney, and/or
b) how you believe you will make a difference as an attorney with respect to Iranian-American issues and concerns, and/or
c) what influenced you to study law
d) what the scholarship money awarded would be used for. (you may be required to provide information regarding the program/event for which you intend on using this scholarship)
- TRANSCRIPTS – Provide unofficial copies of all transcripts (including anywhere that you did not receive a diploma from) for your entire undergraduate college/university enrollment. Also, provide an unofficial copy of your law school transcript. If for some reason you are unable to submit transcripts, contact [email protected] prior to the scholarship deadline.
- LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (ONLY FOR THE JUDGE IRAVANI-SANI PUBLIC INTEREST SCHOLARSHIP): Letters of recommendation from a current or former teacher or instructor that can speak to your academic achievements, career aspirations, character, and circumstances.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORMS